So you’re looking for a good adventure in Northern California, huh? Well, I have a couple of my favorite travel itineraries that are a bit off the map. They include details, directions, recommendations of side attractions, and where I eat nearby when getting off the trail.
ADVENTURES NEAR MOUNT SHASTA, CA
- Bear Mountain Lookout (Drive + 1 mi. hike to the top)
- Grizzly Mountain Lookout (Hike or Drive+300ft walk)
- Pluto’s Cave (3/4mi hike to the cave)
- Herd Peak
- South Island Epic Adventure: New Zealand in 1 week
- Mount Shasta/Dunsmuir/Weed/McCloud Area:
- Hike Mount Eddy (near mt. Shasta)
- Hike Black Butte
- Herd Peak (Drive)
- Goose Nest Peak (old volcano with mini caldera inside)
- McCloud Falls (all 3 of them)
- McCloud Reservoir
- Castle Crags – giant granite spires & mountains. Nor-Cal’s best kept secret
- Lake Siskiyou – Canoeing/Kayaking
- Castle Lake – Canoeing/Kayaking
- Burney/Fall River Mills Area:
- Burney Mountain Lookout: Gorgeous views of Burney, Redding, & Mt.Shasta
- Hatchet Ridge: Awesome trail run/hike next to giant windmills!
- Hiking to Pit River Falls: GPS 40.986747, -121.473201
- Hike across a suspension bridge, to a giant waterfall, & abandoned metal suspension bridge
- Canoeing/Kayaking Big Lake & Exploring Adjumawi Lava Springs State Park (least travelled park in the US. Also has lava tube caves)
- Soldier Mountain Lookout: Beautiful views of the Fall River Valley, Mount Shasta, Big Lake, & Burney.
- The Essential Mount Shasta Experience:
- 2 Days in Mount Shasta
- Full day in Mt. Shasta?
- 5 hours in Mt. Shasta?
- 3 hours in Mt. Shasta?
- 1 hour in Mt. Shasta
- Klamath River Kayaking
- Lower Wright Lake (difficult hike but amazing fishing)
- Humbug – Designated 4×4, dirt bike, & quad Area